JCA Apprentice Activity Instructor - 2023JCA UK - Condover Hall, Shropshire
Take the leap into your next activity adventure!
- Level 3 qualification in Outdoor Activity leadership
- On-going training to achieve external qualifications worth £1,500!
- No previous experience required!
- Live on-site at Condover Hall activity centre in Shrewsbury (or live off-site if local!)
- 2 days off each week
- Free meals – even on your days off!
What is an Outdoor Activity Apprenticeship?
If a 9-5 office job and sitting behind a desk all day is just not your thing, this apprenticeship could be just the thing you’re looking for! As experts in the outdoor activity industry, JCA will give you all the tools to climb your way to the top of the ever growing, outdoor industry and achieve industry recognised qualifications – a fantastic way to build your CV and progress within the outdoor industry! The apprenticeship will focus on the practical elements of the instructor role and support with any theory based learning.
Our activity instructors are the superstars of JCA, the kids will look up to you and see you as their hero – you’ll make sure that they’re safe and having an amazing time from breakfast to bedtime.
What will I be doing?
With JCA no two days will look the same – Your training will cover a huge variety of outdoor and indoor activities so that once your group arrive on-site, you are their instructor for the whole of their stay!
You’ll be the leader of the pack for activities such as fencing and archery in the sunshine, final shoot out at the laser quest and helping guests overcome their fears on the abseiling tower and aerial trek high above the trees! Your top priority will be keeping your pack safe and making sure everyone has the time of their life.
Over the course of 13 months, we’ll give you all the training, equipment and confidence needed in this role – so no previous experience required!
At the end of the Apprenticeship, you will achieve an industry recognised level 3 qualification in Outdoor Activity Leadership. And if that wasn’t enough, you’ll also have the chance to gain further external qualifications including:
- Fencing Leader
- FSRT & Paddle Sports instructor
- Teaching Orienteering part 1
- Archery Leader
- Emergency First aid at Work
We offer our apprentices the chance to live on site, so no boring commute to work! You’ll live and breathe what it means to be an Activity Instructor. You will make friends for life and tonnes of unforgettable memories whilst completing your apprenticeship!
The place you’ll call home is Condover Hall, our flagship centre in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Or, if you live locally in Shropshire, you can live at home and still join the JCA team!
Over the Summer you’ll have the opportunity to branch out and experience a different type of adventure at one of our other seasonal centres across the UK.
At JCA, we have over 25 years’ experience in providing fun and educational adventures for school and youth groups. We’re big enough to challenge, small enough to care – You’ll never be just another number. We pride ourselves on having a close working relationship with all of our instructors – So if you’ve got your eye on progressing, we’ll support and help you get there. Many of our Apprentice Activity Instructors go on to become Senior Activity Instructors!
If you’re looking to branch out after your time on the apprenticeship, JCA are part of the Travelopia group made up of 30 different travel brands! You might find yourself working a season overseas with Skibound or Travelbound or joining one of the Head Office functions!
What happens in the recruitment process?
To complete the recruitment process, we are hosting a number of open days at Condover Hall activity centre in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Our open days are the final step of the recruitment process and give you a fantastic opportunity to meet your new apprenticeship colleagues, explore your new home/workplace and even try some of the amazing activities we have on site – including aerial trek and high ropes!
You’ll even have the chance to try out the Condover Hall on-site restaurant with meals being provided free of charge – and if you have a long way to travel, you can stay on-site for free in our guest accommodation the night before and night of the open day. And if that wasn’t enough, hold onto your receipt for your travel to Condover Hall and we’ll reimburse you in your first pay cheque with JCA!
What can JCA offer you?
- Customer Experience bonus for 2023 (5% of your monthly salary for each full month worked!)
- National apprenticeship Wage
- Access to Travelopia’s Travel bar with a huge range of discounts across restaurants, high street retailers etc.
- 2 days off each week
- JCA uniform including branded t-shirts, fleeces and jackets
- On-site accommodation provided at a monthly rate – or the option to live off-site if you are local!
- All of your meals are included – that’s both your working days and days off!
- Full 5 to 6 weeks training on-site including: full range of outdoor activities, health and safety, first aid, safeguarding
- Final level 3 qualification in Outdoor Activity leadership alongside external qualifications e.g. NGBs
- Support with passing Functional Skills qualification if required
- Partnership with Shrewsbury College – including access to all learning facilities and the all important student discount!
- On-going positions with JCA and further Travelopia brands
The extra bits:
- March 2023 start date for 13 months
- Full time position working 40 hours each week – it can include working occasional weekends
- Based at JCA’s flagship Activity Centre, Condover Hall in Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- As this role will involve working with children and young people, JCA will cover the cost of your enhanced DBS check and organise it for you
- As this position is residential, you must be 18 or over by March 2023
“This role has enabled me to learn so much about different activities in the outdoors industry. I now have the opportunity to go for a senior role. After the apprenticeship I’m going to be either doing another year at Condover as an activity instructor or a senior instructor!”