JCA Apprentice Activity Instructor - 2024JCA UK - Condover Hall, Shropshire
Take the leap into your next activity adventure!
- Level 3 qualification in Outdoor Activity leadership
- On-going training to achieve external qualifications worth £1,500!
- No previous experience required!
- Residential Position– Live on-site at Condover Hall Activity Centre in Shrewsbury
- Free meals – even on your days off!
What is an Outdoor Activity Apprenticeship?
If a 9-5 office job and sitting behind a desk all day is just not your thing, this apprenticeship could be just the thing you’re looking for! As experts in the outdoor activity industry, JCA will give you the tools to climb your way to the top and achieve industry recognised qualifications – a fantastic way to build your CV and progress within the outdoor industry! The apprenticeship will focus on the practical elements of the instructor role and support with any theory-based learning.
Our Activity Instructors are the superstars of JCA, the children will look up to you and see you as their hero – you’ll make sure they are safe and having an amazing time during their adventure holiday!
What will I be doing?
With JCA, no two days will look the same – we have over 40 activities & you will be trained in delivering all of these! We have a range of outdoor and indoor activities and once your group arrives on-site, you are their instructor for the whole of their stay!
You’ll be the leader of the pack for activities such as fencing and archery in the sunshine, final shoot out at the laser quest and helping guests overcome their fears on the abseiling tower and aerial trek high above the trees! Your top priority will be keeping your pack safe and making sure everyone has the time of their life.
Over the course of 13 months, we’ll give you all the training, equipment and confidence needed in this role – so no previous experience required!
At the end of the apprenticeship, you will achieve an industry recognised level 3 qualification in Outdoor Activity Leadership. And if that wasn’t enough, you’ll also have the chance to gain further external qualifications including:
- Fencing Leader
- FSRT & Paddle Sports instructor
- GB Orienteering
- GB Archery
- First Aid
We offer our apprentices the chance to live on site, so no boring commute to work! You’ll live and breathe what it means to be an Activity Instructor. You will make friends for life and tonnes of unforgettable memories whilst completing your apprenticeship!
The place you’ll call home is Condover Hall, our flagship centre in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Set in the stunning Shropshire countryside and just a stones throw from a lively town with lots to do.
You will have the opportunity to branch out and experience a different type of adventure at one of our other seasonal centres across the UK once you have completed your Apprenticeship.
At JCA, we have over 25 years’ experience in providing fun and educational adventures for school and youth groups. We’re big enough to challenge, small enough to care – You’ll never be just another number. We pride ourselves on having a close working relationship with all of our instructors – So if you’ve got your eye on development within the outdoor education industry, we’ll support and help you get there.
If you’re looking to branch out after your time on the apprenticeship, JCA are part of the Travelopia group made up of 30 different travel brands! You might find yourself working a season overseas with Skibound or joining one of the Head Office functions!
What happens in the recruitment process?
Once you’ve made your application, you will be contacted by one of our friendly recruitment team for a chat, then invited to attend one of our Recruitment events at Condover Hall, Shrewsbury.
During the event you’ll get to meet your potential new colleagues, explore what could be your new home/workplace and most of all, have fun! There will be the chance to try out some of our activities and really get the feel for what life is like here. Accommodation and meals will be covered by us for the whole event too!
What can JCA offer you?
- National Apprenticeship Wage
- Access to Travelopia’s Travel bar with a huge range of discounts across restaurants, high street retailers etc.
- 2 days off each week
- JCA uniform including branded t-shirts, fleeces and jackets
- On-site shared accommodation provided at a monthly rate
- All of your meals are included – even on your days off!
- Full 5 to 6 weeks training on-site including: the full range of outdoor activities, health and safety, first aid, safeguarding & more
- Final level 3 qualification in Outdoor Activity leadership alongside external qualifications e.g. NGBs
- Support with passing Functional Skills qualification if required
- Partnership with Shrewsbury College – including access to all learning facilities and the all-important student discount!
- Access to our independent Employee Assistance Programme for a range of support
- On-going positions with JCA and other Travelopia brands
- Staff events
- Use of the facilities – bring your family along to show off your new skills!
- Incentive programmes
- Travelopia holiday discounts
- A hands-on practical Apprenticeship & assessment
The extra bits:
- January 3rd 2024 start date for 13 months
- The initial training programme runs for 5/6 weeks – you will need to be available for that full period
- Full time position working 40 hours each week – this will include working some evenings & weekends
- Residential position based at JCA’s flagship Activity Centre, Condover Hall in Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- As this role will involve working with children and young people, JCA will cover the cost of your enhanced DBS check and organise it for you
- As part of the screening process you will be required to attend one of our Recruitment Day/Weekend
- You will be required to provide a selection of ID documents such as Passport, Driving Licence, Full Birth Certificate, Bank Statement & P45/P60
- As this position is residential, you must be 18 or over by the start date
“This role has enabled me to learn so much about different activities in the outdoors industry. I now have the opportunity to go for a senior role. After the apprenticeship I’m going to be either doing another year at Condover as an activity instructor or a senior instructor!”