Travelbound 2024 – Assistant ChefTravelbound France
Join us for the 2024 season at Travelbound’s amazing Chateau Du Molay in Northern France! Travelbound specialise in offering residential school trips to groups from all over the world!
This role will be based at our truly idyllic, 18th Century Chateau, situated in Normandy, France. Renowned for its history, beautiful towns and sandy beaches, in your down time you will have the chance to explore everything Normandy has to offer! Or, if you fancy something different on your day off you can jump on the train and be in central Paris within a couple of hours!
A season at Chateau Du Molay will give you the opportunity to build on your hospitality skills and make memories which will last a lifetime. With an international customer base and team of around 20 staff members from across Europe and the world, there is a unique opportunity to practice your French and English language skills!
What will I be doing?
At Chateau du Molay, our kitchen provides lunch and dinner for hungry school guests and teachers from France, UK and around the world. With a maximum capacity of 200 guests and 30 members of staff, our menus provide for high covers, high quality food appealing to a child’s palette.
With a well-planned menu in place, you will have a good understanding of numbers and allergens well in advance – so plenty of time to get on top of prep work! A platter service is provided for the children, whilst a plated service is provided for the adults. Dishes are simple, nutritious and adapted for a multi-national audience, for example: Freshly made soup to start, chicken chasseur with green beans, carrots and boiled potatoes for main and tarte au citron for dessert.
As a Commis Chef, you will follow direction from the Catering Manager/ Head Chef and work alongside your fellow Chefs and colleagues to ensure the smoothest service possible for all meals. On the Catering Manager’s days off, you will also be confident in running the kitchen independently from time-to-time, following instructions left and using your skills to foresee any possible problems.
With your previous kitchen experience, you will work efficiently and with the highest level of health, safety, and cleanliness practices with a particular focus on allergens and dietary requirements. You’ll also help the team on Potwash, the cleaning of the kitchen and supporting with rotating stock whilst managing deliveries and getting involved in monthly stock takes.
Our motto at Travelbound is ‘teamwork makes the dream work!’ We are looking for positive, can-do individuals who share our teamwork ethos – Our job adverts will give you a good flavour for each job role but other duties within the scope of each role may be required.
What skills and experience do I need?
- Previous experience working in a busy commercial, high volume kitchen environment
- Ideally you will have worked as a Commis Chef or Chef de Partie
- Previous chef experience in an overseas kitchen or hotel-based environment is a bonus!
- An excellent understanding of the Health and Safety regulations (Food & Hygiene, HACCP, COSHH), and the ability to adapt to French regulations
- Experience and detailed understanding of preparing meals to cater for all dietary requirements (some very severe)
- Not afraid to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in – from basic food prep to an end of service clean down
- A desire and the necessary knowledge to develop more junior members of the team in a friendly, calm and positive manor
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where services can be short and intense
- Works well individually and as part of a team
- Conversational English is essential
- French speaking is a bonus!
What can Travelbound offer me?
- Competitive, seasonal salary paid in Euros as all staff will be on a French contract for 2024
- All meals – even on your days off!
- Free on-site shared accommodation.
- Option to live off-site if you live locally
- Access to on-site facilities including staff bikes, outdoor swimming pool (May – Sept), BBQ, discounted drinks in the Chateau bar etc.
- Full job training once at the Chateau
- Role progression and the chance to return for future seasons
- We are part of the world’s largest collection of specialist brands, Travelopia, which means we are able to offer further seasonal opportunities with our sister brands once your season comes to an end including JCA in the UK and Skibound in the French Alps
The extra bits…
- We ask applicants to be fully available from end of February 2024 to July 2024 (with the chance of extending right through until October 2024!)
- You must be 18 or over by February 2024 to apply
- Due to Brexit implications, applicants will need to hold EU documentation e.g., EU passport, EU Work visa, French residency permit or Carte de Sejour
- Please apply for just ONE Travelbound job role – The role you feel you are best suited to and most interested in. We will assess your application against other vacancies without you have to apply for multiple positions
- If you are applying as a couple, please apply INDIVIDUALLY for your chosen roles and include the name of your friend or partner or family member in your application
- We receive a very high number of applications each year. Please allow up to 3 weeks to receive a response on your application – All applications will be contacted whether you are successful or not, but feedback cannot always be provided due to the volume of applications.
We look forward to receiving your application!